Tuesday, March 13, 2012

{YUM!} Turkey Shepherd's Pie



I'm on a cooking roll! Last week I made a delish shepherd's pie out of ground turkey. I picked this recipe cause I had most of the ingredients. As usual, I changed the recipe to fit my needs. Mostly to fit what I had on hand. Here's the actual recipe, and this is not my picture because I was too hungry and my dish wasn't as pretty. But it did taste really good! This recipe is from Disneyfamily.com

Ingredients:2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
2 pounds ground turkey
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon thyme
3 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 - 16 ounce package organic frozen mixed veggies
1 - 28 ounce package frozen mashed potatoes
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Prepare entire bag of mashed potatoes according to package directions. If necessary, thin the potatoes a bit with some milk. They should be the consistency of wet, but thick, mud. Set aside.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and celery and cook until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add turkey and break apart with a spatula. Cook turkey until no longer pink.
Sprinkle flour, salt, pepper and thyme over the turkey and stir to combine. Stir in chicken broth, raise heat to high and bring to a boil.
Stir in package of frozen veggies and simmer for 5 minutes more. Remove from heat.
Pour turkey and vegetable mixture into a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Spoon little piles of mashed potatoes over the top and smooth out with a spatula. If desired, fluff them up with the tines of a fork for better browning. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top and bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbling.


No comments: