Tuesday, December 7, 2010

{DIY} Painted Coffee Filter Wreath


I really wanted to hang something from our big mirror, but I wasn't sure what I wanted. Did I want to make a banner, and what would it say? Did I want another ornament wreath? Nah. Then it hit me, a coffee filter wreath! And I had everything on hand. I looked at a bunch of tutorials for this, and here's how I did mine.

For this project I used a wood wreath from the $ Store, 200 pack of coffee filters, acrylic paint, foam brush, crepe paper, white glue, glue gun. I didn't end up using glitter like I had planned.


1. The very first thing I did was use my foam brush to paint the edges of all my coffee filters with my acrylic paint, and let those dry for a few hours.


2. While the filters dried, I wrapped my wreath twice with crepe paper so I'd have a smoother surface to work with, and sealed it with some white glue. I also let this dry for a few hours.


3. Once my items were dry, I started to shuffle the edges of the coffee filters so they would loosen from the paint.

4. I then seperated each filter one by one, and started folding each filter in half, and then twice, in a fan/zig-zag motion.



5. I placed a drop of hot glue on the flat tip of the filter (where I'm pointing), and pressed it onto the wreath.




6. Repeat step 4 and 5 until you've filled your wreath to the fullness you desire.


For my wreath, I did about 4 rows of filters. Of course, the more rows and filters you use, the fluffier and fuller the wreath will look. This project took me about an hour and a half. The most time consuming part was separating the filters after I had painted them. If I had not painted them, I'm sure I would have finished much faster. But I love it, especially because I had everything on hand. I can't wait to make another one!

And I'm linking up!





1 comment:

MrsKBJ said...

Beautiful!! I have been wanting to make a feather wreath. I love the coffee filter one too!
Great job Corin!