Tuesday, November 16, 2010

{DIY} Cake Pops!

Repost from my party blog, Bella Mia Soirees!

These things are addicting! And easy to make! I made them the other week as favors for Isabella's Baptism, and they went like hot cakes! A person would have one, and tell another person to try it, and everyone was asking how I made them. By the end of the night, we only had a handful left, until my niece took them all. They were seriously sooo good. I got phone calls days after asking about them, and would I make them for people. I used Bakerella's recipe, but with a few teeny-tiny changes. Here's a small tutorial on what I did, and used.

I used Devil's Food Cake boxed mix, a can of Cream Cheese frosting (It's not the same frosting in the pic...oops!), and Nestle White Baking Chocolate. Makes about 50 pops.



I baked the cake according to the box directions and let it cool completely. I then broke it into pieces and placed into a food processor where I blended the cake 'til I had small crumbs. I then dumped the crumbs into a big bowl. I had to repeat this step three times 'til I crumbled the whole cake.



With the crumbled cake in a big bowl, I then poured a little more than half the jar of cream cheese frosting in, and started to mix with my hands. I mixed 'til I could form a giant cake ball.




I got out my cookie sheet and an actual tablespoon, from my stack of measuring spoons, and started scooping out tablespoon-sized balls, rolling them in my hands, and placing them on a cookie sheet.

 

After my balls were made, I covered them in saran wrap and I let them chill, in the fridge, over night.


The next day I heated the white chocolate baking bar in my Little Dipper crock pot. I heated the bar according to the directions on the bar's wrapper.


I began by sticking the sticks into the balls. I would dip about 1/2 an inch of the stick into the white chocolate and then into the ball. And line them back up on the sheet. I let them set up a little before the next step.

To cover the balls, I would hold the end of the stick, to the side, and drizzle the white chocolate over the entire ball, and tap the excess off. Sorry no pic. Too consumed in making pops!

I would then pour the sprinkles on, stick them in foam, and place them in the fridge to set up. By the time I was done, I was able to pull the first batch out and start bagging the pops.



There you have 'em! Delish cake pops! I HIGHLY recommend the Devil's Food cake with Cream Cheese frosting. I found this to be the best flavor combination. I will definitely be making more of these suckers. Yum!




No comments: